Wednesday, April 6, 2016

The High Priestly Prayer of Adam: A Speculative Exercise in Federal Theology

Please be careful to read this with functional Messianic categories in mind, and use it to ask useful questions about the structure of salvation. Do not read this as factual or as an actual interpretation or re-interpretation of Holy Scripture, or as if it is attributing any essential divine attributes to Adam, or denying the necessity of the incarnation.

Adam, having completed his obedience to the command of the Lord God in Eden, was soon to be crowned King, and to receive the promised endowment of the life-giving Holy Spirit by whom he and his entire family would be glorified and enjoy eternal fellowship with Yahweh...

Adam, lifting up his eyes to heaven, said:

"Father, the hour has come; glorify your son, that the son may glorify You, even as You gave him authority over all flesh, that to all whom You have given him, he may give eternal life. This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and to be in my family, as you have ordained. I glorified You on the earth, having accomplished the work which you have given me to do. Now glorify me together with Yourself, with the glory I have never known as a creature made from the dust, which you have nevertheless promised in the tree of life.

"I have manifested Your name to the men You have given me in the world; they were Yours and You gave them to me, and they have kept Your word. Now they have known that everything You have given me is from You; for the words which You gave me about the tree of knowledge of good and evil, about the garden, and about filling and subduing the earth, I have given to them; and they received them, and truly understood that You created me, and they believed that You made me in Your image and established me as a priest and king in Eden. I ask on their behalf, for they are Yours; and all things that are mine are Yours, and Yours are mine, and You have been glorified in them.

"I am no longer part of the old age, and yet for a little longer, they are; and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given me, that they may be one in fellowship even as I am one in fellowship with You. While I've been with them, I have been guarding them in Your name which You have given me; and I guarded them and not one of them perished.

"But now I come to You; and these things I speak now so that they may have my joy made full in themselves. I have given them Your word; and the serpent has hated them, because they are not of him, even as I am not of him. I do not ask for you to remove the threat of the serpent, but to protect them from him. Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth. As You created me from the dust, I have reared and discipled them, and sent them throughout the world to subdue and fill all creation. For their sakes I sanctify myself, that they themselves also may be sanctified in the truth.

"I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also which come after them, throughout their generations; that they may all be one in fellowship; even as You, Father are in me by Your Spirit, and I am in You (for you are my shelter and strong tower), that they also may be in us, so that all of creation will see their love and glorify You.

"The glory which You have given me I have given to them, that they may be one in communion, just as we are one; I with them and You in me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that all creation may know that You created me, and loved them, even as You love me. Father, I desire that they also, whom You have given me, be with me where I am, so that they may see the glory of Your image which You have given me, for You loved me before the foundation of the world.

"O righteous Father, although the unclean spirits have not known You, yet I have known You; and these have known that You created me and covenanted with me; and I have made known Your name to them, and will make it known, so that the love with which You loved me may be in them, and that I may enjoy communion with You together with them."

No comments: